Question 1. Answer the following questions briefly.
- How does a planet differ from a star?
|Planets are the celestial bodies that do not have their own heat and light.
||Stars are celestial bodies that have their own heat and light.
|There are eight planets in the solar system.
||There are infinite stars in the sky.
|Examples - Earth, Mars, etc.
||Examples- Sun, etc.
- What is meant by the ‘Solar System’?
Answer: A solar system can be defined as the collection of the Sun, eight planets, satellites, and some other celestial bodies known as asteroids and meteoroids.
- Name all the planets according to their distance from the sun.
Answer: The planets according to their distance from the Sun are:
Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune.
Do you need help with your Homework? Are you preparing for Exams?
Study without Internet (Offline)
- Why is the Earth called a unique planet?
Answer: Earth is called and unique planet because :
- It has favourable conditions which support life.
- It has water and air which are very essential for our survival.
- The air has life-supporting gases like oxygen.
- The Earth is neither too hot nor too cold.
- Why do we see only one side of the moon always?
Answer: The moon moves around the earth in about 27 days and it takes 27 days to complete one spin, that is why we only see one side of the moon always.
- What is the Universe?
The universe is made up of millions of galaxies, which are made up of billions of stars and clouds of dust and gases.
Question 2. Tick the correct answer.
- The planet known as the “Earth’s Twin” is
- Which is the third nearest planet to the sun ?
- All the planets move around the sun in a
- Circular path
- Rectangular path
- Elongated path
- The Pole Star indicates the direction to the
- Asteroids are found between the orbits of
- Saturn and Jupiter
- Mars and Jupiter
- The Earth and Mars
- (iii) Venus
- (ii) Earth
- (iii) Elongated path
- (ii) Mars and Jupiter
Question 3. Fill in the blanks.
- A group of ________ forming various patterns is called a ________ .
- A huge system of stars is called________ .
- ________ is the closest celestial body to our earth.
- ________ is the third nearest planet to the sun.
- Planets do not have their own __________ and ____________ .
- A group of stars forming various patterns is called a constellation.
- A huge system of stars is called galaxy.
- Moon is the closest celestial body to our Earth.
- Earth is the third nearest planet to the sun.
- Planets do not have their own heat and light.
Question: What do plants and animals require in order to grow and survive?
Answer: Oxygen to breathe, food to grow and water to survive.