WORKING WITH THE TEXT
A. Discuss these questions in pairs before you write the answers.
- Why did the dog feel the need for a master? (1, 2)
- Who did he first choose as his master? Why did he leave that master? (3)
- Who did he choose next? (3)
- Why did he serve the Lion for a long time? (4)
- Who did he finally choose as his master and why? (9, 10)
- The dog felt the need for a master because he was tired of wandering about alone, looking for food and getting frightened by those who were stronger than him. Therefore, he decided to serve someone who was the strongest on earth.
- He chose a big wolf as his master. One day, the dog saw that the wolf was afraid of the bear. Since the dog wanted to serve only the strongest, he left the wolf and asked the bear to be his master.
- He chose the bear to be his next master.
- He served the lion for a long time because there was no one more powerful and stronger than the lion in the forest. The lion was not afraid of any creature and thus, the dog was well protected by it. Therefore, the dog lived happily by serving the lion for a long time.
- He finally chose man as his master. One day, the dog realised that the lion was afraid of man. As he wanted to serve someone who was the most powerful, he chose man as his master.
B. A summary of the story is given below. Fill in the blanks to complete it taking appropriate phrases from the box.
||stronger than anyone else
|the strongest of all
|afraid of man
||his own master
This is the story of _________________, who used to be ______________. He decided
to find a master _________________. First he found _______________, but the wolf was
afraid of ___________________. The dog thought that the bear was ________________.
After some time the dog met __________________, who seemed the strongest. He
stayed with the lion for a long time. One day he realised that the lion was
_________________________ . To this day, the dog remains man’s best friend.
Answer:This is the story of a dog, who used to be his own master. He decided to find a master stronger than anyone else. First he found a wolf, but the wolf was afraid of the bear. The dog thought that the bear was the strongest of all. After some time the dog met a lion, who seemed the strongest. He stayed with the lion for a long time. One day he realized that the lion was afraid of man. To this day, the dog remains man’s best friend.
Do you need help with your Homework? Are you preparing for Exams?
Study without Internet (Offline)
WORKING WITH LANGUAGE
Question A. Each word in the box given below indicates a large number of…
For example, ‘a herd of cows’ refers to many cows.
Complete each of the following phrases with a suitable word from the box.
- a _________________ of ships.
- a _________________ of flowers.
- a _________________ of chicks.
- a _________________ of cattle.
- a ________________ of sticks.
- a ________________ of sheep.
- a _________________ of fish.
- a _________________of wolves.
- a fleet of ships.
- a bunch of flowers.
- a brood of chicks.
- a team of cattle.
- a bundle of sticks.
- a herd of sheep.
- a school of fish.
- a pack of wolves.
Question B. Make nouns from the words given below by adding −ness or − ity. (For some words we need to add just −ty, or −y.)
- There are twelve words hidden in this table.
- Six can be found horizontally and the remaining six vertically.
- All of them are describing words like ‘good’, ‘happy’, etc.
- The first letters of the words are given below:
Horizontal: H R F F S G
Vertical: A W S F L Q
Question D. Read the following passage and do the exercises that follow. Then complete the family tree of dogs given on the facing page.
The Dog Family
The dog family is one of the 11 families that make up the Carnivores, a large group of intelligent, flesh-eating, backboned animals. In this group are such varied animals as bears, pandas, raccoons, cats, hyenas, and even seal. The dog or canine family has many wild species like wolves, foxes, coyotes, jackals, and wild dogs. The dog is the only domesticated member of the canine family though now and then someone tames a wolf, fox or coyote as a pet. All members of the dog family are descendants of a wolf-like animal which lived about 15 million years ago. From this distant ancestor, the true dogs gradually developed. But nobody knows the exact ancestor of the modern domestic dog.
Several wild dogs look and behave like domestic dogs. The dingo or wild dog of Australia is one of these. It is possible that the dingo was a tamed dog brought to Australia long ago which then ran wild. Dogs were the first animals tamed by humans — perhaps 20,000 years ago. Tamed dogs were brought from Asia to the New World 5,000 or more years ago. Dogs were first used for hunting.
- Find the opposites of these words in the text above.
- ancestor _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
- wild t _ m _
- ancient _ _ _ _ _ _
- near d _ _ _ _ _ t
- suddenly gr _ _ _ _ _ _ _
- Complete the following sentences.
- The dingo is __________________________________________________.
- Dogs were the ____________________________________________animals tamed by humans. The other animals tamed by humans are __________________________.
(Think and name some other such animals.)
- The New World refers to ___________________________________.
Dogs were brought there from __________________________________.
- ancestor – descendants
- wild – tame
- ancient – modern
- near – distant
- suddenly − gradually
- The dingo is the wild dog of Australia, which looks and behaves like a domestic dog.
- Dogs were the first animals tamed by humans. The other animals tamed by humans are wolf, fox, and coyote.
- The New World refers to the non-Eurasian/ non-African parts of the earth, specifically the Americas and Australasia. Dogs were brought there from Asia.