Thinking about Language
1.Look at these words: upkeep, downpour, undergo, dropout, walk-in. They are built up from a verb (keep, pour, go, drop, walk) and an adverb or a preposition (up, down, under, out, in).
Use these words appropriately in the sentences below. You may consult a dictionary.
- A heavy _____ has been forecast due to low pressure in the Bay of Bengal.
- Rakesh will _____ major surgery tomorrow morning.
- My brother is responsible for the ____ of our family property.
- The ____ rate for this accountancy course is very high.
- She went to the Enterprise Company to attend a _____ interview.
2. Now fill in the blanks in the sentences given below by combining the verb given in brackets with one of the words from the box as appropriate.
‘over’ ‘by’ ‘through’ ‘out’ ‘up’ ‘down’
- The Army attempted unsuccessfully to ____ the Government, (throw)
- Scientists are on the brink of a major _____ in cancer research, (break)
- The State Government plans to build a ____ for Bhubaneswar to speed up traffic on the main highway, (pass)
- Gautama’s ____ on life changed when he realised that the world is full of sorrow, (look)
- Rakesh seemed unusually _____ after the game, (cast)
Do you need help with your Homework? Are you preparing for Exams?
Study without Internet (Offline)
II. The -ing and -ed adjective.
Think of suitable -ing or -ed adjectives to answer the following questions. You may also use words from those given above.
How would you describe
- a good detective serial on television? ____
- a debate on your favourite topic ‘Homework Should Be Banned’? ____
- how you feel when you stay indoors due to incessant rain? ____
- how you feel when you open a present? ____
- how you feel when you watch your favourite programme on television? ____
- the look on your mother’s face as you waited in a queue? ____
- how you feel when tracking a tiger in a tiger reserve forest? _____
- the story you have recently read, or a film you have seen? _____
(Sample answers are given; you may have a different answer.)
Now use the adjectives in the exercise above, as appropriate, to write a paragraph about Coorg.
Do it yourself.